Extend your lease
On this page we have outlined some key facts that we think you will find useful if you are considering a lease extension.
We have also produced a short video which explains the lease extension process – we hope you find it helpful.
What exactly is leasehold ownership?
How lease length affects the value of a property
The value of a leasehold property and its marketability are affected by the number of years the lease has left to run.
A lease is always diminishing and is therefore a significant ‘wasting asset’.
Its underlying value declines as the length of the lease reduces.
Why you should consider taking pre-emptive action now
Once your lease is 85 years or below, correcting the length of a lease becomes increasingly expensive with every year that passes.
Extending your lease before it reaches this danger zone is certainly worth seriously considering so that your property is ‘ready-to-go’ should you ever need to sell or re-mortgage it.
Extending your lease also provides you with the opportunity to rectify defective clauses that can cause particular problems with mortgage lenders.
Take action BEFORE your lease falls below 80 years!
As you can see from the graph below, you can save many thousands of £££ by extending your lease BEFORE it falls below 80 years. Taking prompt action will avoid ‘marriage value’, whereby the freeholder is entitled to 50% of any uplift in value resulting from a lease extension or freehold purchase.
How can we help you?
We can help you extend your lease or buy your freehold so that your property will once again achieve its full market value.
If you have owned your flat for at least two years, you have the legal right to compel your freeholder to grant you a lease extension of an additional 90 years (i.e. your remaining term plus 90 years) and reduce your ground rent to zero. This is subject to certain criteria and a member of the project team can advise as to whether you are eligible.
We organise lease extensions for groups of leaseholders but if you want to go ahead on an individual basis, our associated company, Leasehold Valuers, will be pleased to assist.
There are a number of benefits of group action, including:
- You will have a team of people working for you that includes experienced project coordinators, chartered surveyors and specialist solicitors who will ensure you get the best price and terms for your lease extension;
- Established in 2002, we have many years’ experience of overcoming and negotiating the countless pitfalls that can occur during these transactions; this means that the experience need not be an expensive learning curve for you as an individual;
- We offer fixed fees and therefore you will have a better understanding from the outset of how much your transaction will cost;
- You will gain peace of mind that the entire process is managed from start to finish by professionals with a strong track record of negotiating for groups against some of the country’s most notorious freeholders;
- As a result of our extensive experience, we can also give you a good estimate of what your freeholder’s professional fees will be (which you are obliged to pay, and we will challenge) to avoid any nasty surprises.
Please download our information sheet ‘Your lease extension journey’ for a useful, step-by-step guide to the lease extension process.
Click here to download.
For further information on extending your lease or buying your freehold, please call us free of charge on 0808 1311 109 or use our online form.
Affected by the leasehold houses scandal? We can help. Learn more
Buy your freehold
How does your flat’s lease length affect its value? Learn more
Ten top tips
Leasehold Solutions’ ten top tips for leaseholders. Learn more
Keen to act but worried about the costs of a lease extension?
We have a growing number of clients who are keen to act but lack the funds to do so. We have recently teamed up with an independent financial adviser in order to help leaseholders secure funds specifically for this purpose. Again, there is no obligation to use this service – we just want you to know that there are options available in order to help you act and secure the maximum value of your property, should you wish to sell at any point.
You can read more here: https://aims.financial/aims-loan-services